Menopause is a natural transitional phase in every woman’s life. This phase marks the end of her reproductive journey. Most women experience symptoms of menopause in their late 40s. While it's a transformative journey, it can also be challenging because women undergo various physical and psychological changes during this delicate phase. Yoga for menopause often provides a holistic approach to managing the physical and emotional aspects of menopause.
Women can manage this transitional phase with grace prioritizing their mental and physical wellness with yoga. In this blog, let us look at some benefits of yoga for perimenopause and menopause.
Importance of Yoga for Menopause and Perimenopause
Some of the common symptoms of perimenopause and menopause are hot flashes and night sweats. For about 80% of women hot flashes may keep occurring for 2 years or less. (1) These symptoms are directly related to the hormonal changes in the body during the menopausal phase.
Other symptoms one may experience can be weight gain or joint pain. One of the best ways to tackle some of these challenges is to practice yoga for menopause. A regular yoga routine can help reduce these symptoms by enhancing strength, flexibility, and balance.
Yoga for Improved Blood Circulation
Yoga for perimenopause can also improve blood circulation and lessen the frequency and force of hot flashes.
Yoga for Bone Health
Women in their 40s and 50s often complain about osteoporosis. Menopause is one of the key reasons for osteoporosis or porous bones. It is a degenerative disorder that makes bones more prone to breaking or cracking because they lose structural strength. Estrogen's decline during menopause accelerates bone loss. Yoga and proper nutrition can help in reducing the risk of osteoporosis. (2) Include Ayurvedic menopause supplements in your diet to get relief from menopausal symptoms. Menopausal supplements for weight management and bone density are particularly helpful during this phase.
Mood swings are a common symptom during menopause. Yoga and meditation both can help in managing emotional balance, reduce anxiety and improve your mood.
About 51.6% of women encounter sleep disturbances and sleep disorders during menopause. (3) But yoga for menopause can help in calming down the mind and body and promote a better quality of sleep.
One of the most common challenges faced by women during this phase is weight gain around the abdomen. Yoga for menopause belly can be effective in toning abdominal muscles.
Some Yoga Asanas for Easing Menopausal Transition
Let us look at some ways yoga for menopause can benefit you in fighting the symptoms.
Viparit Karini (Legs up on the Wall Pose)
- Lie down on your back near a wall
- Swing your legs up on the wall in a 90-degree angle
- Keep your arms by the side
- This yoga asana for menopause improves your blood circulation and helps with sleep disturbances.
Balasana (Child Pose)
- Kneel on the floor and sit back on your heels
- Bring your body down to the floor
- Stretch your arms forward lowering your head to the ground
- Practice this yoga for menopause for relaxation, relieving stress, and stretching the back. This yoga pose will also help you reduce joint pains.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Lie down on your stomach, placing your hands under your shoulders.
- Inhale and lift your chest off the ground while keeping your pelvis on the floor.
- This yoga asana helps to strengthen the back, alleviate back pain, and improve posture. It is also a good yoga for menopause belly.
Yoga for menopause offers a natural and holistic approach to tackling physical and emotional changes in the body. To guarantee safety and optimal benefit, it's critical to practise yoga regularly and, if at all possible, under the supervision of a certified instructor. If you have any underlying health concerns, get in touch with Menoveda’s team of experts for guidance.